- Help each other (verse 17) - As much as we like to think we can do things on our own, we truly need the help of others. If I am encouraging you, and you are encouraging me then together we will be helped.
- Keep away from those that will distract you (verses 18, 19) - If there is something that is inhibiting your walk with Christ then stay away from it. It may be a person, a thing, a place. What ever it is, stay away.
- Keep your eyes on God (verse 20) - If we keep our eyes on the Lord then He will always lead us in the right direction.
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Monday, December 20, 2010
Saturday, December 11, 2010
- They should be obedient. They should try to please their masters.
- They were not to talk back. They were not to gripe about their master to others. This gives a poor testimony
- They were not to steal. The word “purloining” means to steal. This goes without saying, but you should not steal from your work. Paul tells them to show “good fidelity” which means to be faithful.
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
So, I look at the daughter who is obviously wanting something and say, "I would never do for one child what I wouldn't do for another. All you have to do is ask me if you want something." And I meant it. I am their father and love them the same. I would never give one of my kids something and deprive the other.
Here is the problem. The pouting child is not willing to ask me for what it is that she wants. So, the second daughter finishes her extra food and we leave. As we are driving away God speaks to my heart and teaches me a lesson. God says to me, "So many of my children sit around with the pooch mouth because they do not have something that someone else has, but they have been unwilling to ask me for it." God is our father and He would never do for one child and not do for another. The problem is that we are unwilling to ask Him for what we want.
Jesus said "hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name, ask and it shall be given to you." I wonder what we do without because we do not ask for what we really want. The Bible is clear that God will give us the desires of our heart. If this is true, then why are we pouting over the things we do not have? We haven't asked.
I'm certainly not telling you that God will give you everything you ask for. God knows better than that. What would happen if you gave your children everything they asked for. They would eat candy all the time, they would never go to school and they would grow up to be terrible adults. All I am saying is that you should not pout about what God is not doing for you, when you haven't even asked Him to do it.
So, next time you are in need of something think about what you would do if your child was in need of something. What would you do if you of your children came to you and said they needed something? God is our Heavenly Father. Next time you need something why not ask? You might be surprised what could happen.