Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Who loves them more?

Have you ever stopped to consider how much God actually loves you and your family? I don’t mean just a passing thought, but to actually consider it. Well I don’t know that any of us can comprehend the depths of God’s love, but something interesting struck me this morning.

As I was driving to work I was praying. It’s kind of my thing to do in the mornings. Anyway, as I was praying for some of my lost family members I made this statement, “God you probably want them to be saved as much as I do.” No sooner had the words come out of my mouth when the thought crossed my mind, “Would you give one of your children to die for that family member?”

Here is the thing, I have often said that I could not give one of my children to die for a stranger, but that God loved them so much that He gave His Son to die for them. Of course God loves that stranger more than I do, they are a stranger. I had never stopped to consider that God even loves my family more than I do.

Could I give one of my children to die for an aunt, an uncle or even a grandparent? Could I even give one of my children to die for a parent? Absolutely not! I couldn’t even allow one child to die for another.

This is a humbling thought when you consider that God loved that aunt, uncle, and grandparent so much that He did allow His only Son to die for them. I just thought that I loved them, but my love today seems so little compared to God’s. Does this make me feel bad? No. Instead it makes me feel encouraged. I know how much I love that lost loved one. I know how much I want them to be saved. Then to consider that God wants the same thing so much more is an encouraging thought.

You never have to wonder whether it is God’s will to pray for the salvation of a loved one. God wants them to be saved more than you do. Therefore when that family member is burdening your heart, take them to God in prayer. There you will find common ground. God loves, cares and wants them to be saved more than you do.

9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9


19We love him, because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

I'm on twitter @drojoshuasharp

No comments:

Post a Comment