Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Are you tired?


This week our church has been in revival. We have had a wonderful service both Monday and Tuesday nights. In both services I have had a thought on my heart that I feel like sharing with you.

In 2 Thessalonians 3:13 Paul warns again being “weary in well doing.” This thought has gone through my mind several times over the last couple of days. The reason I have been thinking about this statement is because it has happened to me. Before you look down on me for this you must realize that it is possible that this could be said for the majority of the church.

The more I think about being weary in well doing the more I realize that this may be one of the biggest problems the church faces today. I know that churches have to deal with sin, suffering and sorrow. I really believe however that if most churches would examine the members and the church as a whole they would have to say that they are just tired. We do the same things over and over again, and while these things are good, we many times find ourselves in a rut of ritualism.

Another problem with becoming weary is that many times when you grow weary you also grow critical. Have you ever noticed that when someone grows older or sick many times they also grow critical? This is not true in every case but we have all joked about the old man standing on his front porch telling the kids to get off his lawn. I’ve experienced in my own family how that being weary in body can change your outlook on life and make you more critical than you would normally be.

It is no different in the church. When we grow tired we grow critical. Something that normally would not trouble us will cause us to be critical. When you are weary in well doing you are more prone to see the problems in everyone else’s life. Again this is not a hard rule, but I believe if we were honest with ourselves we would admit that this is the case most of the time.

The trouble with growing weary in well doing is that most of the time you don’t realize it when it happens. It happens so gradually that you never see it coming. If someone gets into sin and does something wrong, they immediately know they have messed up. It’s not that way with growing weary. Another problem is that when we do realize it, we are in such a rut that we don’t always want to get out. You would be surprised how many people know that they are weary in well doing, but they don’t care to do anything about it.

I don’t know, maybe it’s just me who feels these things. Maybe it’s just me who gets into this rut. Maybe you are on the mountain all of the time, but I doubt it. Let me tell this from experience. When you finally get to the point where you are ready to do something about the weariness in your life God will be there to help you. One of the greatest blessings in the Bible is the blessing that Jesus became a man. In becoming a man He experienced the same afflictions we face today. Jesus knows what it is like to be weary; He understands where you are at in your life. Be assured that when you finally decide to do something about the rut you are in, God will give you the help you need.

Why don’t you ask Him right now to help you?

No comments:

Post a Comment