Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Something I can’t get off my mind!

For the past several days I have been thinking a lot about a word. I was sitting in church Sunday night listening to the preacher and this word just came to me. The word I have been thinking about is the word “darkness.”

Sunday night was the fifth Sunday night of the month. Whenever a month has five Sundays our church will always partake of the Lord’s Supper. On this night Bro. Tom will usually preach about the importance of the Lord’s Supper and what it symbolizes. This past Sunday was no different. As part of his sermon he is talking about the disciples in the upper room with Christ.

As I was listening my mind wandered into that upper room as I though t about that night, and especially Judas. At this time the devil had already entered into Judas. Judas has made up his mind that he will betray the Lord. This is a decision that will ultimately lead to him killing himself.

In the upper room our Lord wanted to share some things with His disciples, but is unable to do so with Judas in the room. Jesus begins to explain that one of the twelve will soon deny him. As the disciples begin to question “Is it I?” our Lord leans over to Judas and says “That though doest, do quickly.”

John records in his gospel that at this time Judas got up to leave. Then John paints a picture that I believe most overlook. John says:


“He (Judas) then having received the sop went immediately out: and it was night.”

I can picture as Judas walked from the light of the upper room into the darkness of night. This is so symbolic of what took place in the life of Judas that night.

Darkness is spoken of many times in the Bible.
  • Darkness is a physical occurrence. God separated light from darkness at the time of creation.
  • Darkness is a power. Satan and his demon followers are spoken of as the powers of darkness.
  • Darkness is a presence of mind. The Bible tells of men and women who have had their understanding darkened.
  • Darkness is a place. Hell is a place of outer darkness.
So, for some reason this thought has not left my mind since Sunday night. Maybe I will study it some and see where it goes. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment